Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

I am warning you that below these pictures there is a political comment being made, it may not be what you want to hear so you may wish to ignore it. If you choose not to please understand that this is my opinion and in no way am I trying to make anyone feel unwelcome here. As always if you have this link I want you to share our lives, which sometimes might mean hearing what I think.


Pheenie's black eyes and broken nose (actually looks better then it felt) and Sam loses his second top tooth when his sister punches him in the mouth. (yes she got in trouble)

Pheenie taking a tea break, Sam waiting to put on the roof as Aunt Sara works in the background.

Pheenie taking her 1st slide and the kids using the picnic table (the boy in the red shirt is Seraphina's "fiance" Anthony)

Eating while Goo Bobby works on the rock wall and the first swings on the new set!

Sam keeping his eye on the ball and me and Pheenie before the game.


As you can see we spent our Memorial Day weekend having fun with family at play. It was a wonderful relaxing weekend. There were parties all over the neighborhood and flags were flying from many of the homes. It is so important to remember what this weekend really means and I was happy to see that so many of the people enjoying the time off did not forget. We are so lucky to live in a relatively safe country. We know that those who have given their lives for our freedom can never be thanked enough and we do what we can to make them proud of the people they fought for. Memorial Day is about remembering what was lost but it should also be about reminding each of us about how lucky we are. It should make us want to be better then we are and work to be as brave in the face of things that scare us. Yesterday we celebrated those who gave all they had for freedom and today California stood up and said that freedom is only for certain people. Regardless of how you feel about marriage I hope that you will consider these beautiful children and where their happiness may lie. I would hate to think that one day they could find love with someone but not be allowed to celebrate that love with a marriage because of some government decision bent on taking freedom from them. I know that it is a touchy subject and my intent is not to start a huge debate I understand that people have different opinions then mine and don't expect to change them. I just can't understand how we can celebrate freedom when not all that live in the US are free in the same way. Freedom by definition "Liberty of the person from slavery, detention, or oppression." and you can't convince me that denying certain people the right to marry isn't oppression. So this Memorial Day I give thanks to those who gave everything to make this world a better place and I will do all I can to keep fighting that fight until we achieve freedom for all, first in the USA and then hopefully in the world. I hope that one day there will be a fair decision made to give the rights that so many of us take for granted and until then I hope that individuals will put aside their personal opinions and realize fairness is really what is in question here. Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all those who gave their lives and all those who were left behind to pick up the pieces after. I hope that one day we will be the nation that they were fighting to create.

Common folk, not statesmen, nor generals nor great men of affairs, but just simple
plain men and women, can do something to build a better, peaceful world. The future
hope of peace lies with such personal service.
Henry Cadbury

3 comments:

Tavia said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Glad you had a great weekend and I'm glad to hear that your husband will be home soon.

Walker Family said...

Sara,
I agree with you. I would love our children to grow up and live in a world where they could be free to live in peace.
The swingset looks like it came together nicely, and I am happy to see Pheenie loving that hat! How did she break her nose???

sara said...

Some guy fell on her at "Yankee stadium", just one more reason to hate the new place. He tripped over the cup holders on the ground and spilled his beer on her so of course she looked up to see where the cold was coming from as he was falling. His head came down on her face breaking her nose. She is doing much better now though.